Deprecated housekeeping notes from May 15, 2006.
Some important housekeeping notes.
One benefit of announcing the previous episode as the final one of the original series is that we can use this space to explain some transitions.
Beginning May 18, 2006, Yamara will run weekly on Thursdays. The first episode is actually already online (“Yamara’s Dreme”) but the site will be sporting a somewhat different look, to compliment the new online style, so feel free to vote and comment on what you think.
A note to various comic lists and encyclopedias: These are chapters of the same comic, not different comics. We request you not retroctively disqualify us for having fewer than ten strips or some such. The location of our archive page remains unchanged, and that should say it all.
For the curious, we have some ‘splainin’ to do: It is in the nature of php to be so seamlessly interactive that one can overlook potential applications and modifications, since it’s supposedly easy to code them in later. Unfortunately, we are neither php coders, nor do we wish to spend the time or money on creating the perfect webcomic
delivery engine. Walrus is plenty great, thank you.
Still, we wanted to do something that Walrus, and the other engines we looked at, couldn’t do out of the box: Change the background and format at a certain date, but leave the previous dates with the old layout. Chris has devised a workaround: The Hundred Classic Episodes are moving to a new directory, yamara.com/yamaraclassic/, while the new strips will keep the yamara.com/yamara/ directory, so that links around the web don’t suddenly become obsolete.
We’re trying to make this as easy on fans as possible:
- The Working Title War and The Hundred Classic Episodes will be thoroughly linked together onsite through the archive, the “Scrolls of Plegh” menu, and even special rewind/fast forward buttons.
- All the old strips, images, and even the news will be duplicated into the ongoing /yamara/ directory, so if you’ve been bad and remotely linked one of our strips, then the hour of facing your rightful Day of Reckoning has been postponed.
- A link to http://www.yamara.com/yamara/ will still reach the latest strip. However, any addresses before May 18, 2006 linked to a specific date (index.php?date=) will fail– we can’t forward them with out #2¢%ing up our engine or layout– and you’ll have to update those links to the /yamaraclassic/ directory, assuming you really care.
- We expect the RSS feeds to update normally, but we will be watching.
- A lot of this info will be repeated in the rant for May 18, 2006, since this is the switching point.